Teeth grinding is a condition where two jaws are rubbed together without a purpose. This usually happens when you sleep, or even when awake. However, if it occurs during sleep, it will cause more problems because it is difficult to control.
Teeth grinding is one of the most common sleep disorders. This disease occurs in adults and children. Through the actual survey, usually in 10 children will have 2-3 children suffering from this condition. Pathology usually occurs after the child develops the first permanent tooth.
The most obvious consequences: damage the chewing surface of the teeth, especially the molars. Can cause cracking, broken pieces of fillings. And can lead to sore muscles, temporomandibular joint dysfunction and headaches. Severe, in chronic cases, it can lead to inflammation of the temporomandibular joint (TMJ), enlarged bite muscles causing changes in facial shape.
What are the symptoms of dental disease teeth grinding?
Based on the professional observation of the expression and the description of the patient.
- The first manifestation is the erosion of the teeth.
- Grinding teeth at bedtime causes disturbance to the person beside (narrated)
- Other symptoms include anxiety, depression, eating disorders, headache, sensitive teeth and insomnia.
- There are also symptoms of ear pain, fatigue, difficulty opening mouth when wake up.
What are the causes of teeth grinding?
It depends on each person. There are three main reasons for this: neurons, groups of elements in oral health, and groups of drugs – stimulants.
@ Related neurological factors group:
- Stress, depression, anxiety.
- Brain injury
- Sleeping habits
- Day activities are strong, active. When sleeping, it is easy to cause teeth grinding.
@Group related factors at oral health:
- Chewing, wrong bite. Due to the inconsistent development of the jaw and teeth.
- In children, teeth grinding or occurring at the stage of composite teeth.
- Loss of tooth without recovery treatment leads to displacement of the teeth, causing distortion.
- Oral breathing.
@ Relevant factors: drugs and stimulants
Use of stimulants such as caffeine, hallucinogenic drugs, cigarettes …
This phenomenon can also occur as a side effect of some oral medications. Includes some tranquilizers such as antidepressants and antipsychotics.
So, how is treatment for teeth grinding?
Depending on the cause, there are different treatments.
- If stress-strain, you should start a specific stress management course and then evaluate the situation.
- Get enough sleep at night and have proper exercise regimen.
If teeth grinding is caused by the deviation of the jaw, or because teeth are uneven. You need to consider an orthodontic solution to effectively treat the bite, move the tooth to the correct position. And from there, will help treat the teeth grinding.
- Especially now, the application of anti-grinding trough treatment for patients with this condition is very effective. This tray helps to relax the muscles, reduce the spasm of the chewing muscles, protect the teeth from breaking.
- Limit food with stimulant (contains caffeine or alcohol), avoid chewing gum (because chewing gum continuously will make the habit of jaw), avoid chewing unnecessary.
- Need to relax the jaw muscles by massage, and apply warm packs …
Some notes during treatment
Often, people are not interested in treating this phenomenon, until there is a visible headache or joint pain. And so, it is very hard to repair on the late time.
- In children with bite disorder during teething, it is necessary to monitor the direction of teeth in the correct position.
- If the child is stressed by the process of learning, or relationship with school friends, parents need to care and talk share to relieve the child.
- Before going to sleep avoid strong movement, should work lightly. Reading relaxing stories or play light games. Avoid eating sugary foods that cause nervous distress, which can lead to sleep problems, or agitation during sleep.
- Should habitually sleep on time, eat adequate nutrients.
So, if you find any signs of suspected dental disease grinding teeth. You need to see a doctor to find a cure helping you maintain strong teeth.
QUOC BINH DENTAL CLINIC IN VUNG TAU
☎️ 0914 83 99 66
ADD1: 19 Pham Hong Thai, Ward 7, Vung Tau City.
ADD2: 28 Le Loi, Ward 4, Vung Tau City.
Page Online: https://www.facebook.com/nhakhoaquocbinh/