In some situations, there will be a few customers wishing to remove the braces ahead of time. And if this requirement of the patient is met, will there be any effect on the treatment outcome? Let’s find out in more detail with an orthodontist.
With some of you suddenly having to settle abroad in an urgent time, you cannot continue according to the procedure specified by the dentist.
Or you have preparing for a wedding and need your image to be perfect, the smile does not appear with brackets.
Or simply need to adjust the appearance to appear in a certain event (talent contest, model, interview…); And have question is it possible to remove the braces ahead of time?
To answer the question of whether to remove braces ahead of time, we all learn about orthodontic period.
Orthodontic period can last from 12 months to 36 months. Depending on a number of factors:
- The degree of deviation of the teeth.
- The original actual condition of the tooth; Adequate or missing teeth, patients are in the stage of mixed teeth or have completely replaced teeth, …
- Applied orthodontic methods (conventional techniques, or techniques to shorten treatment time …)
- Compliance and cooperation with a doctor throughout the treatment process.
@ Typically, landmarks in the variable tooth stages are estimated as follows:
- The first 2-6 months will be devoted to repositioning the correct teeth on the arch of the jaw.
- The next 3-6 months will be used to adjust the tooth axis
- From 6 to 9 months later, the bite joints will be changed to the correct standard.
- And 6-9 months or 12 months used to maintain the stability of the teeth after editing.
This is a period of time not to consider having to extract teeth to prepare before braces. And time there are unexpected obstacles (bursting brackets, poor dental care leading to infection requiring treatment …)
The time level variation will depend on the difficulty of the tooth movement. Complicated deviations that need to be done in many steps take longer.
Whether you should remove the braces ahead of time depends on the method of orthodontics
Although the methods of orthodontic are different, it is likely that the same results will be produced. However, the course of treatment is likely to differ in timelines.
With some advanced techniques, the orthodontic time can be shortened from 1 – 6 months. And then, you can remove the braces ahead of time (according to standard regulations).
When is considered the right time to remove braces?
When the bite joints are balanced, ensure good chewing. And it is important that the deviations such as overbite, underbite, crooked teeth … have been completed.
Finishing time braces can be 1 or 2 months difference from the original calculation.
However, if you have not reached the deadline for completing treatment but you wish to remove braces early, you should note the following additional things.
@ Detach temporarily and will reattach later. This can be done but requires careful supervision and control by a doctor so that the orthodontic results are still satisfactory. During the temporary get out brackets, you must adhere to wearing a maintenance tray to help stabilize your teeth at the adjustment stage.
@ Removed permanently. It is possible to perform at the request of the patient but doesn’t guarantee treatment results. Without the right alternative, it can lead to more serious consequences than you think.
For example: If the normal treatment takes 17 months to complete and 6 months to maintain stability. If you want to remove the braces ahead of time because you have to live abroad, in fact, the treatment results won’t be as expected. And if you don’t have time to stabilize the tooth position, the greatest risk is that the deviated teeth tend to return to their original position. Or cause a new disturbance, making it more difficult to correct the deviation.
So in the end what is the advice of an orthodontist for you?
- Braces shouldn’t be removed ahead of time except in required situations and there must be an appropriate alternative.
- Take good oral care during orthodontic braces. To avoid other tooth diseases.
- Periodic re-examination on schedule and in compliance with the doctor’s instructions.
QUOC BINH DENTAL CLINIC
Contact: 0914 83 9966 /0254 383 9966 for an appointment and free consultation.
Orthodontic treatment is carried out at Facility 1 – 19 Pham Hong Thai, Ward 7, Vung Tau City.
Chief doctor: Dr. PHAN QUOC BINH
Information pages online: